Which Specialst To See For Eye Care

9 November 2022
 Categories: , Blog


Many people do not realize there are three different specialists when it comes to eye care. These three have very different jobs when it comes to making sure you can see adequately. While there are some skills that cross over between them, it is usually best to go to the specialist that handles your problem specifically. Here is what you need to know to make the proper choice for your eyes and vision.


An optician works with corrective devices. They are not doctors but have gone to school to learn how to make and fit eyeglasses and contact lenses. They work with your eye doctor to make sure you have corrective lenses that fit your eyes and face while improving your vision as much as possible. This is the person you see when your lenses are not giving you better eyesight or are uncomfortable to wear.


An optometrist is a doctor of optometry. These are the professionals you see when you have vision problems and need some type of corrective lens. They perform eye tests on you to determine what is wrong and then prescribe the lenses needed to correct your vision. In addition, an optometrist can diagnose eye diseases and prescribe medications for them. This is the specialist you should see when you first notice you are having vision problems.


An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who chose to study ophthalmology after finishing medical school. This professional can do everything the other two specialists do but can also perform eye surgery. If you have any diseases or conditions that can affect your eyes, such as diabetes, you should see this specialist. You may be referred to an ophthalmologist by your optometrist if the problem with your eyes is more than a simple eye infection or a problem that requires corrective lenses alone.

Your vision is an important aspect of your life. Do not dismiss a problem as something that will go away with time. Make an appointment with an optometrist for an eye care check-up. They will do the exam and then determine the best course of action. It may be as simple as seeing the optician to order glasses or contact lenses, or it could be you need to see an ophthalmologist to correct a problem like glaucoma or cataracts. The important thing is to be seen as soon as possible before the problem grows and requires more intervention to retain your eyesight.

For more info, contact a company like Indigo Vision Center.